CMSD CEO Eric Gordon resigns at end of school year

CLEVELAND — On Monday afternoon, Eric Gordon announced he would step down as superintendent of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District at the end of the 2022-23 school year, according to a school district news release.

Gordon has been responsible for the administration and day-to-day operations of the Cleveland School District of 36,000 students since June 2011.

“While the decision to leave CMSD was not easy for me, the timing and conditions are right for the Mayor and Board to identify a CEO to lead the district’s long-term recovery from the pandemic and build on the gains we have made during a remarkable and historic time in K-12 education,” Gordon said in a letter sent to the CMSD community.

During his 11-year tenure, Gordon received numerous awards and honors for the growth the district experienced under his leadership. One initiative of note is the citywide coalition he led, Say Yes to Education. When graduation rates declined in 2018, Say Yes to Education made CMSD students eligible for full scholarships upon graduation, increasing enrollment in post-secondary education for the first time in five years, according to the press release.

Another notable achievement under his leadership is that the school district remains in the top 1% for graduation rate growth and is ranked fifth among the fastest improving districts in Ohio on the annual state bulletin since 2011, according to the press release.

“We are grateful to Eric for his dedicated service to the Cleveland Metropolitan School District and his stewardship of the Cleveland Plan for more than a decade,” said Cleveland Mayor Justin M. Bibb. “Eric is a true leader who puts the needs of students and families first. He has had a tremendous impact on young scholars and future leaders in Cleveland, and there is no doubt that he will continue to guide and inspire those around him. We wish Eric all the best for his next chapter.”

Download the News 5 Cleveland app now for more stories from us, plus top news alerts, the latest weather forecasts, traffic updates and more. Download now on your Apple device here, and your Android device here.

You can also watch News 5 Cleveland on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, YouTube TV, DIRECTV NOW, Hulu Live and more. We are also on Amazon-Alexa devices. Learn more about our streaming options here.

About Rachel Gooch

Check Also

Celebrating the NGSA 1% against the remaining 99% must be abandoned

Dear Editor, Once again, the ministry with a ‘fixed mindset’ has staged its ‘dogs and …