Public health is reporting a new death as the province continues to fight its highest number of hospitalizations since the start of the pandemic.
New Brunswick has recorded 172 deaths from COVID-19.
Seventy-nine people are hospitalized, a drop from Saturday when the province hit a record hospitalization record. Sixteen people are in intensive care and 10 are on ventilators.
Of the 1,054 PCR tests performed, 201 were confirmed positive. The positivity rate is 19.1%.
The breakdown of 201 new PCR-confirmed COVID-19 cases includes:
- Moncton area, zone 1 – 72.
- Saint John area, zone 2 – 56.
- Fredericton area, zone 3 – 18.
- Edmundston region, Zone 4 – 16.
- Campbellton area, zone 5 – 1.
- Bathurst area, zone 6 – 25.
- Miramichi region, zone 7 to 13.
As of Saturday, 25.4 percent of eligible New Brunswickers had received a booster dose, 83.1 percent had received two doses and 90.8 percent had received one dose.
Liberal MP calls on province to declare positive rapid tests
Public health is currently only reporting cases confirmed by PCR testing on the COVID-19 dashboard. Since the eligibility of PCR testing has changed and has only become available to vulnerable populations, the number of reported cases has declined.
The province has asked the public to register their positive rapid test results via an online form.
Jean-Claude D’Amours, MLA and Liberal health spokesperson, wants the province to start reporting positive results obtained from rapid tests on the COVID-19 dashboard.
“If you go from PCR to rapid tests, the government should report the number of positive rapid tests in the province,” he said.
D’Amours said recent public health changes in testing, providing exposure notices, tracing contacts and issuing daily press releases mean less transparency about the condition. of COVID-19 in New Brunswick.
It is less information coming from the government without justification, without logic ”, declared D’Amours.
As New Brunswick grapples with health system staffing shortages, D’Amours said the province should seek help from the federal government if it is unable to keep pace. . Last week, 200 members of the Canadian Armed Forces were deployed to help with vaccination efforts in Quebec as that province grapples with an increase in hospitalizations.
“We see the government trying to do everything on its own, without asking for help,” he said. “At the same time, we are seeing other provinces across the country asking for help.”
CBC News reached out to Public Health for comment on Sunday, but did not receive a response immediately.
Booster doses available to all adults from Monday
New Brunswickers who received their second dose at least five months ago and are 18 years of age or older will be able to receive their booster dose as of Monday.
The announcement was made yesterday at a press conference attended by Minister of Health Dorothy Shephard and Dr. Jennifer Russell, Chief Medical Officer of Health.
Pregnant women were also immediately eligible for their boosters.
As hospitalizations increase and cases remain high in the province, Russell urged the public to get vaccinated.
“In the coming weeks, it is likely that the healthcare system will be tested like never before,” Shephard said during the briefing.