Search Warrants Detail Suspected Student Bomb and Weber High School Shooting Plot | News, Sports, Jobs

Stacey Fielding / Special for the Standard Examiner

The gymnasium at Weber High School is shown in this undated file photo from the Standard Examiner.

PLEASANT VIEW – A 15-year-old student planned to make explosives and shoot people in an attack on Weber High School, according to search warrants filed by Weber County Sheriff’s detectives who arrested the teenager .

The girl was arrested by the Weber County Sheriff’s Office on September 24, a day after the agency received a tip from the FBI, Sheriff’s spokesman Lt. Cortney Ryan said on Wednesday. He said she was indicted by the 2nd District Juvenile Court with possessing or manufacturing a weapon of mass destruction for a first degree felony.

“I need weapons. And I need bullets. And I need alcohol. And I need bombs. … And I have to kill all these f—- ”the girl reportedly said in a diary entry found by investigators. She reportedly said the shooting would be, as Ryan described it, “a Columbine-style mass event.”

The girl told someone in email messages that she had started planning to “shoot” Weber High and that the crime would be her way of “making my mark on society,” a warrant said.

Detectives found a video on her phone of her lighting up a substance in the driveway of her house and describing it as napalm. A diary entry stated that she had made napalm and was storing it in a shed. A search warrant said it was obvious “that she has started planning some type of terrorist event.”

Ryan said no guns or bomb-making equipment had been found. However, the electronic recordings and video of the young girl making and lighting napalm, an incendiary mixture, were evidence of a plot to attack, according to the search warrants.

The Sheriff’s Office and Weber School District issued brief press releases Tuesday night, revealing a threat of conspiracy and arrest, in response to media attention on the case, the spokesperson said on Wednesday. of the district, Lane Findlay.

“The reason we didn’t release it sooner is because we had a good understanding of the matter and there was no longer a threat to the community and the school,” Ryan said. “We don’t think there are any co-conspirators.”

Findlay said the investigation had been underway for several weeks, involving the district, the sheriff’s office, Pleasant View police and the county attorney’s office. Because law enforcement took the lead and the district was protecting the student’s “very sensitive” privacy rights, public disclosure of the case was not being considered at the time, he said. he declared.

“As this continues, we felt that because the threat had been neutralized and law enforcement intervened, there was no imminent danger and there would be no disclosure of information so much. that it would not be appropriate, ”he said. “We wanted to be thorough and not compromise this investigation and the process. “

Findlay is part of a threat management team that works to spot dangers, to find out “how can there be early intervention, how can we help these students,” he said. “There are a lot of different factors when someone goes down this path, this path to violence. Someone doesn’t wake up one day saying, “I’m going to do it.”

According to Findlay, the threat team is researching different motivators for attacks in schools, based on cases elsewhere. “Sometimes it’s a grievance. The notoriety that people get – it actually becomes a motivator, and we never want to play in that, ”he said.

The standard examiner generally does not identify minor suspects until they are charged by the district court.

Bulletin

Join the thousands of people who already receive our daily newsletter.

About Rachel Gooch

Check Also

As graduation nears, high school students from local nonprofits have their pick of the best colleges and universities

May 18, 2022 Wilmington, Del. — The Class of 2022 seniors have had to adjust …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.