Soon lessons on the 50 great personalities of the country in the UP Board course

More than one million students studying in grades 9 through 12 at approximately 27,735 UP Board high schools across the state will soon receive chapters on the lives and contributions of the nation’s 50 prominent people, including freedom fighters in their program.

In the Lok Kalyan Sankalp Patra released ahead of the 2022 UP assembly elections, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) promised to include the life stories of great men and women in the programme. Now, by order of the state government, officials from the secondary education department have started preparations to make necessary changes to the curriculum in this regard, officials familiar with the move said.

“A committee formed under the leadership of the Director of Secondary Education, Sarita Tiwari, has been tasked with selecting the names of eminent personalities whose contributions and life stories are to be part of the curriculum. The names of these great men and women should be part of the curriculum for the upcoming academic session of 2023-24,” said a senior official with the state’s Department of Secondary Education.

A missive sent by Co-Director of Education Bhagwati Singh to the Special Secretary for Secondary Education, dated August 2, setting out the instructions given regarding the secondary education department’s work plan for the next six months, the also lists in point number 12.

The four-page order, a copy of which is at HT, directs the relevant committees to hold meetings and pave the way for the implementation of the measures on a priority basis while uploading information on the measures taken to the designated portal. using the link provided.

The move closely follows the step of having the walls of state government run primary and tertiary schools tell stories of India’s prominent women through the ages. In a new initiative to introduce students at these schools to female role models, the state government had ordered that a wall in each of the 1.54 lakh schools in 75 districts be dedicated to this mission as part of the Mission Shakti Phase-4 special campaign. The goal is to motivate students to imitate these personalities.

The missive lists 19 prominent women, including Rani Lakshmibai, the Queen of Jhansi and a leader of India’s first war of independence, Chand Bibi, the ruler and warrior who acted as regent of the Sultanate of Bijapur and defended Ahmednagar against Mughal forces in addition to Savitribai Jyotirao. Phule, Indian social reformer, pedagogue and poet from Maharashtra, Sarojini Naidu, Mother Teresa, Sucheta Kriplani, Lata Mangeshkar, PT Usha and Saina Nehwal.

The instructions state that the names of local or regional women in the district, development block and female figures at the divisional level may also be displayed under this initiative after being duly approved by the relevant officials.

About Rachel Gooch

Check Also

Celebrating the NGSA 1% against the remaining 99% must be abandoned

Dear Editor, Once again, the ministry with a ‘fixed mindset’ has staged its ‘dogs and …