West Charlotte High School football coach fired: CMS

CHARLOTTE (QUEEN CITY NEWS) – A football coach at West Charlotte High School was recently fired from his job, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools confirmed to Queen City News.

CMS said Friday, Aug. 5, that former teacher and coach Ryan Copeland is no longer part of the school system.

A Title IX report was filed after school administrators were notified of an “incident”, CMS said.

Title IX procedures were followed, school officials said.

What is Title IX?

Title IX applies to schools, local and state educational agencies, and other institutions that receive federal financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Education.

A recipient institution that receives funding from the Ministry must operate its educational program or activity in a non-discriminatory manner, without discrimination on the basis of sex, including sexual orientation and gender identity.

Some key areas in which grantees have obligations under Title IX are: recruitment, admissions and counseling; financial aid; Athletics; sexual harassment, which includes sexual assault and other forms of sexual violence; the treatment of pregnant and parental students; the treatment of LGBTQI+ students; discipline; single-sex education; and employment.

Further, no recipient or other person may intimidate, threaten, coerce, or discriminate against any person for the purpose of interfering with any right or privilege guaranteed by Title IX or its regulations, or because the person has made a report or complaint, testified, attended, participated in, or refused to participate in any proceeding under Title IX.

The US Department of Education

About Rachel Gooch

Check Also

Celebrating the NGSA 1% against the remaining 99% must be abandoned

Dear Editor, Once again, the ministry with a ‘fixed mindset’ has staged its ‘dogs and …